Martin M. Reyes, MW
Accolades & Acclaim
- Top 40 Under 40 “Tastemakers of America” Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Oct 2015 Issue.
- Named one of “The Year’s Best US Cabernets” 2016 Peter Paul Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- 93 Points – Wine & Spirits Magazine Dec 2019 Issue
- 2016 Peter Paul Napa Valley Master’s Blend – 92Pts Wine & Spirits Magazine
- 2017 Peter Paul Bacigalupi Chardonnay – 93pts Wine Advocate.
- 2017 Peter Paul “Mary” Russian River Pinot Noir – 93pts Wine Advocate
- Winery client (Spottswoode) featured in USA Today for climate action, mitigation & adaptation research
- Best Paper Award: by American Association of Wine Economics Conference, Vienna July 2019
The Rise of the Consumer-Critic: Is Purchasing Behavior Impacted in a Wine Retail Environment?
Co-Author with Christopher P. Cheng, Stanford Ph.D & C.S.W.
- WSET Instructor for GrapeExperience.com during its short-listing for 2017 and 2018 Educator of the Year.
- London: International Wine Challenge, London (Panel Chair)
- Singapore: Wine Pinnacle Awards (Jury Panel)
- USA: James Beard Foundation: 2020 Judge (Category Confidential)
- Past Judge for: Decanter World Wine Awards, Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, IntoTheWine & Taittinger Somm d’Or, Mexico City
A first-generation American, Martin is the first Master of Wine of Mexican descent. With a prolific career as a buyer, importer, educator, and more recently, winemaker, he has held influential roles in many sectors of the industry. Martin’s wine story began with an over-indulgent dinner while studying in Paris as a Stanford undergraduate and, by 2003, he was stocking shelves at K&L Wine Merchants in California. After managing St. Helena Wine Center for several years, Martin was hired as the principal buyer & importer for prominent wine club programs for partners such as The New York Times, Food & Wine Magazine, and Williams-Sonoma. In 2015, he was named one of Wine Enthusiast’s Top Forty under Forty Tastemakers. That same year, he worked the harvest at Salomon Undhof in Austria.
Today, Martin directs production for Sonoma-based Peter Paul Wines, works closely with Spottswoode Estate on climate action & sustainability initiatives, and consults across the full wine supply chain. Clients have included Vice Versa Wines, Copa Fina Wine Imports, and Vivino.com. He launched Reyes Selections in 2018, a small portfolio of his favorite producers, singled out from years spent sourcing wines globally for the US market.
An internationally recognized wine professional, Martin has judged at International Wine Challenge, Decanter World Wine Awards, USA Wine Ratings, Concours Mondial de Bruxelles, and Taittinger Sommelier d’Or Competition, Mexico; and most recently, the James Beard Foundation, and recently won Best Paper Award at the AAWE Conference, Vienna 2019 for his research in wine purchasing behavior. In his spare time, he’s an instructor for GrapeExperience.com and SFWineSchool.com. while attempting to become fluent in a fifth language and raise his two children trilingually, together with his wife in Vallejo, CA.